Thursday, November 13, 2014

Voodoo Spirit Alegba

 



The first spirit you should summon before any altar session begins is Alegba (affectionately know by his followers as Papa Legba).  He opens the gates of communication between the spirit world and the physical world.  I always open my sessions with "Papa Alegba, please open the gates of communication so I can talk to the LWA.  Please open the gates papa, please open the gates of communication Alegba"  I always asked three times and asked three times for him to close the gates of communication once my session was over.  Any offerings for Alegba are left at intersections or crossroads.  Below I've listed some helpful info on what he likes and who he is.  Here is the information you will need to summon and honor him.   

Papa Legba  

Guardian of the cross roads first loa to be called during ceremony to open the gates.

Monday (if you're petitioning specifically to Alegba, otherwise include him in all sessions to open the gates of communication for you)

Black & Red (his colors on the altar)

Three (his number, warranting asking three times for Alegba to open & close the gates of communication)
 

Favorite Offerings:  Sweets, Maize, and Rum, shiny pennies, toy cars  

Mercury

Ritual greeting - Atibon Legba, open the gate for me
Papa Legba, open the gate for me
Open the gate that I can enter
When I return I will thank the Loa
Abobo!



This symbol represents Alegba and I always have a copy of it on my altar to honor him and his assistance.





Alegba is represented by St. Peter in Catholicism so I always keep the picture of St. Peter (below) on my altar, as well.











1 comment:

  1. for 48 years i have searched for hope and help. papa legba seems to care the most.

    ReplyDelete